23.5.10

Capitalism: A Love Story

Those scenes of the sit-down strike in Chicago made me tear up just a little, but I am a sap. By my reckoning, there was only one part of the documentary that was TOO manipulative, where a shot of grieving kids was used twice. One such foul per film is quite low for Moore, so props. Otherwise, the pranks were funny asides rather than main events (good), and as far as I could tell, everything in the film was accurate. Moore does add all the bits up to make a claim that I'm uncomfortable with -- calling capitalism 'evil' simplifies something very complex, and I don't think that's helpful. But this is polemic designed to rebalance a very skewed picture, so I can understand why he pulls no punches.

Thinking back, this may just be his best film yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment