25.6.12

Desert Island Discs

A request for music recommendations sent me down this little flight of fancy – if I had to choose right now, what would be my desert island discs. Not records I would take with me to an actual desert island, rather to the Radio 4 show in which favourite songs serve to introduce new episodes of your biography. I don't have the time nor the inclination to share much more than the list itself, except to say that the chosen are often stand-ins for a whole bunch of music I was into at certain points in my life.

Sooooo... The Supremes sum up a childhood listening to London MOR station Heart FM. Death Cab the teenage obsession with wordy indie / emo bands (Belle & Sebastian, Bloc Party, Shins, Hold Steady). The Sundays, or more specifically Harriet Wheeler, for Tori, Aimee, Buffy, and my awkward fumblings with feminism. Terror Danjah my grime road to Damascus moment. Ramadanman the retrospective delving into jungle. "Love Shy" the (largely) retrospective delving into 2-step garage. Radiohead, who are ubiquitous on such lists (and I am not immune). And Purity Ring pointing towards the future:

Diana Ross & The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
Kristine Blond - Love Shy (Club Asylum Mix)
Death Cab For Cutie - Death of an Interior Decorator
The Sundays - Can't Be Sure
Radiohead - Idioteque
Terror Danjah feat. Hyper MC, Bruza, D Double E, Riko - Cock Back V1.2
Ramadanman - Don't Change For Me
Purity Ring - Ungirthed

[Speaking of Purity Ring, their new album is lining up to be my favourite of the year, just based on the tracks they've already leaked – which is about half of them now!]

Oh, and as for the book, probably a fully-annotated edition of Ulysses, which I imagine will keep me busy. I'll cheat on the luxury and go for a broadband internet connection, although if Kirsty is being mean I might have to settle for a crate of Chimay.

No comments:

Post a Comment