19.12.09

Blade Runner - The Final Cut

Watched the film for the first time tonight on the BBC. I know, what took me so long, right? Some thoughts. The film was gorgeous from start to finish. It had a wonderful score. It used sex dolls to say some interesting things about false consciousness and patriarchy (or is my brain just smearing Dollhouse all over it?). The Jesus/dove stuff at the end was interesting, although the bit where the replicant leader kills his maker for not making him properly (why are we evil! why do we die!) was more interesting. HOWEVS.

All the moody, lingering shots were pretty an' all. But wasn't Harrison Ford just the flattest, emptiest hero of a sci-fi epic ever. There was no character there. Charisma can only go so far, people. I swear he only said about five lines in the whole film. This made it very difficult to root for him in the final showdown. I didn't care. I know we're supposed to feel uncomfortable with him being the hero, and we are supposed to realise that the villainesque replicant leader is the true hero. But if I don't know either of them at all, the whole exercise becomes a little ponderous, difficult, unmoving. Apparently, the first bastardized cut was supposed to solve this deficiency, but went too far. My feeling? The studio sorta had a point...

In all: give me The Fifth Element any day.

3 comments:

  1. I think Ford's performance contributes to that depressed noir atmosphere that makes the film work so well, and though it is pretty minimalist, I think it works really well in context, so that even though his revelations at the end of the film aren't played that big, I really feel it.

    But, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I'm a bit biased. It works for me, but I can understand what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Patrick. I'm terribly sorry to disparage one of yr favourite films. I shall make amends by starting on the third age this christmas. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, let me know what you think when you get a chance to check it out.

    And, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Blade Runner is a strange mix of arty, almost plotless noir and blockbuster sci-fi elements that doesn't work for everyone. I think the studio made some negative changes to the film, but there's no way this thing becomes a huge hit, particularly with an audience expecting the next Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

    ReplyDelete